Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Hiking to the Road

For part of spring break, I was fortunate to get away to my family’s cabin on the river.  Sometimes when we go, there are many people with us.  It’s always fun and relaxing.  This time, my husband and I were able to have some time by ourselves and then our children and some of their grandparents came.

One of our favorite things to do is hike and the hillsides of the river canyon provide great opportunities for us to do this.  As my husband and I went on a long hike for several hours, I had time to think about a lot of things and notice the beauty of the creation around me.   There were wildflowers blooming, an eagle soaring way above us, the sound of the river rapids below, birds chirping, clouds changing formations and as we hiked, we could look ahead or behind and the views changed.  I knew we were hiking up to a road.  But it was a road I couldn’t see at all from where we began our hike.


I started thinking about all the fun adventures my husband and I have had high in the mountains.  And also how I sometimes doubt my ability to do what my husband thinks I can, whether it is biking up a steep hill, skiing down an ungroomed powdery slope, or hiking to the top of some peak that I can’t even see.  I trust my husband to not lead me where I am not capable of going.  I know he loves me and won’t leave me.   I know somehow we always have fun.  I sometimes experience a wide range of emotions, including doubt, frustration, and fear.  And I always experience peace, joy and love.

Our hike this time was no different.   Even though we had hiked to the road before, I wasn’t sure if we had enough time before we went down river to pick up our kids.  We took a bit of a different route and it was challenging.  When I started to get tired, we would take a break and drink some water and enjoy looking around.  And my husband would provide encouragement.  I began reflecting on how much I look to my husband to lead in certain circumstances and especially when we hike.  We almost always take a selfie picture at the top of our hikes and lift our hands in praise of our God and His creation. 





As I noticed the wildflowers and the birds and just the sheer beauty of the mountains and valleys, various scripture was coming to mind as well as the song “Help Me Find It” by the Sidewalk Prophets.  I have often prayed the lyrics of that song.  I regularly thank God that He gave me the gift of my husband and I felt especially thankful during our hike.  I trust him and the hiking journey reminded me of trusting God to lead me to the road I should walk.  I know He will help me find it.  I know when I am fearful or doubting, God gives me grace and faith.  I know He provides encouragement through others and His word.  I know He loves me even more than my husband and promises to never leave me nor forsake me.






I also know that sometimes I just need to be still and God gives me peace.  Our time at the cabin was very restful and peaceful.  I’m thankful for so many blessings in my life and right now, I’m particularly thankful for the nice time I had on the river and in the mountains with my family and God.  Thank you Jesus!


Warrior Sister Saints, Say that Again – if there is something we need, we can rely on our trusting, faithful God to help us find it!  He will have His way in our lives!


Here is a link to the song Help Me Find It by Sidewalk Prophets
and some of the lyrics are below:

I will trust in You, You've never failed before
I will trust in You

If there’s a road I should walk,
Help me find it
If I need to be still, 
Give me peace for the moment
Whatever your will, whatever your will, 
Can You help me find it?  Can You help me find it?

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Laura. What a great reminder to TRUST. He will always lead us where He needs us to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like, approve, appreciate and enjoyed your blog and sharing of your feelings, fascinations and respect for your husband Keith and our Lord. Well done daughter.
    Jesus is!
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jill and Dad for your comments

    ReplyDelete